Sunday, October 17, 2010

Organizing Finds are Everywhere, Including the Pumpkin Festival

Farmer Mike carves pumpkins at 2010 Art and Pumpkin Festival, Half Moon Bay

I rarely go to the Half Moon Bay Art & Pumpkin Festival, with its huge crowds and awful traffic. But some friends were going this year, so I joined them - and wound up having a lovely time. It rained, but we had umbrellas - and the rains kept the crowd levels down. (I'm sorry for the artists, though, who missed out on visitors.)


towel rack made by blacksmith

And of course, as I wandered around, I found some organizing-type products. Here's a towel rack from Poonkinney Forge.


hooks with animal faces, made by blacksmith

The forge also sells some wonderful two-prong hooks with the same type of fanciful faces.


wood cap racks

The other organizing items I saw came from Scholfield Valley Wood Products. The cap racks caught my eye first.


wood earring racks

And then I saw the earring racks (and the necklace racks, not shown in this photo) - but I didn't see the unusual revolving necklace holder. Looking at the business's web site, I see that Scholfield Valley Wood Products also makes some nice Lazy Susans.

3 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

We very nearly came over for the Pumpkin festival, but our out-of-town guests opted for rainy Fisherman's Wharf, instead :)
The Poonkinney Forge items are great.

Rachel said...

We almost ventured out for the festival, but hunkered down at home. I'm glad you enjoyed it in spite of the rain!

Jeri, quick question for you. I may be helping a senior citizen clear out her house - it is absolutely filled with clutter (more like hoarding), but she does have some emotional attachment to all of the stuff. Any book recommendations on how to even begin approaching the situation?

Thanks!

Jeri Dansky said...

Struggler, the Poonkinney Forge items were so wonderful that I bought a hook, not even being sure where I would hang it. But a good hook is always useful!

Rachel, working with someone who is truly a hoarder - someone who has trouble letting go of things that most people would consider worthless - is very difficult.

You may want to get the NSGCD fact sheet on communicating with someone who is chronically disorganized. (It's free.)

My book recommendations would depend on whether she's a hoarder who sees a problem and is open to getting therapy, a hoarder who does not see a problem and does not want therapy, or simply a major packrat.

I have a booklist, and Geralin Thomas has a booklist; something on one of those lists is bound to be helpful.